Warren Elwin's Banana boat prawns with a fresh jungle salsa
Warren Elwin puts the heat on our organic bananas. Chef, painter, designer, decorator, photographer and columnist for New Zealand Herald’s Bite Magazine – who once managed to knock himself out in the middle of a brunch service – Warren describes his cooking style as ‘the big easy’. Warren tantalized our taste buds with his ‘Banana boat prawns & fresh jungle salsa’
FOR THE BANANAS & PRAWNS
Bunch of bananas
Fresh lemon juice
Freshly grated & toasted coconut
Bag of whole raw prawns
FOR THE SALSA
Small piece of ginger root
Zest & juice of 1 lime
Finely chopped kaffir lime leaf
Pinch salt & pepper
Sprinkle of sugar
PREPARING THE BANANAS
1. Cut bananas on an angle into thick slices
2. Dip each slice infresh lemon juice
3. Liberally roll in fresh coconut
1. Blanch whole prawns in boiling water, till just cooked.
2. Cool and peel.
3. Slit prawns down their backs and clean.
1. Cut equal amounts of tomato, red onion and cucumber into small dice.
2. Add to the above, a tablespoon of freshly grated ginger, the zest and juice of the lime, and the chopped kaffir lime leaf.
3. Once mixed together nicely, season to taste with salt, fresh ground pepper, and a little sugar.
1. Place bananas onto squares of banana leaf.
2. Top each with an opened out prawn, and season with sea salt.
3. Top prawns with a small spoonful of salsa.
4. Finish each with a squirt of chipotle mayonnaise, fresh cilantro and mint verde sauce.
Please note: If you would like the Chipolte and Verde saucernrecipes, please write back in to: email@example.com