BADASS BANANA BREAD (YUP, IT'S THAT GOOD!)
285g/10oz plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp salt
110g butter, plus extra for greasing
215g caster sugar
2 free-range eggs
4 ripe bananas, mashed
85ml buttermilk or natural unflavoured yoghurt
1 tsp vanilla extract (we tried it with Heilala vanilla, AMAZING!)
1-2 tsp cinnamon to taste (*optional)
Now we like to think we know a thing or two about banana bread and we
think this recipe is pretty much near perfect. Dress it up, or dress it
down. Bake it, toast it, butter it (if you must), or stack it with
cakey-butter-cream icing. Just enjoy it for what it is, a tasty banana
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4 and grease a large-sized loaf tin (20cm x 12.5cm should do the job).
2. Sift the dry ingredients together (flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cinnamon if you fancy) into a large mixing bowl.
3. Grab a separate bowl, and cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
4. Mix in the eggs, mashed bananas, buttermilk/yoghurt and vanilla extract to the butter and sugar mixture. Fold this into the dry mixture.
5. Pour the mixture into the greased tin and pop in the oven. Bake for an hour, or until golden-brown and its risen well.
6. Remove from the oven, allow to cool in the tin for a couple of mins and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool before serving.